Tuesday night at XES for a friend’s birthday turned out to be sort of a Fire Island reunion. As one frequent guest of our house remarked, “It’s so weird to see you all in clothes.”



The Sexican and I were chatting about, of course, sex, when a housemate who shall remain nameless announced that he had recently slept with a 19-year-old. I shrugged, having made the same admission once or twice in the past. But Sexican, a little tipsy, acted horrified.



“Oh my gawd!! Nineteen???”


A sheepish nod.


“Wait. Did you BOTTOM with a nineteen-year-old?!”


Another sheepish nod, followed by a dash to the bar for more alcohol.


“I can’t believe it!” exclaimed Sexican.


“What?” I asked. “He’s a bottom.”


“I never bottom for someone younger than me!” Sexican cried. “That’s the Rule!”


“It IS?”


I had never heard such a thing, though perhaps I’d been following it inadvertently all these years. I usually tend to top, at least during one-night-stands, which I’ve had a lot of. And I’ve always tended to sleep with younger guys, which I’ve had a lot of. But was there a correlation? It seemed ridiculous that something as silly as age could determine what sexual position someone prefers on any given night, in any given encounter. But, it certainly seemed to resonate with some people...


As I thought about it, I recalled something that In Bocca Di Lucas had written once on his blog, Top To Bottom. Some quick research found me the post, Now Step I Forth to Whip Hypocrisy. He wrote about a partner of his that wanted him to bottom, apparently a request he gets fairly often, the reason being his looks. The point of his post seemed summed up when he, at height 5’4”, wrote: “I have just as much of a right as any other guy to like it better on top...just like all these 6'4" bottoms I've been meeting have a right to take it up the ass.” However, just one line before that, he himself admitted: “I am fully aware of the fact that I look like a bottom. I'm short, slim, boyish, and I have a killer ass.”


(Sounds good to me!)


So some people, I reasoned, determine position preference based on body type, which is purely physical. Others clearly rely on age, which encompasses both the physical and the emotional. And I soon realized that other people associate it with the totally emotional quality of personality.


I was walking in Chelsea with Travelocigay, after we had finished dinner at Tia Pol, an amazing tapas restaurant on Tenth Avenue. He wanted us to meet up with some friends, and pulled out his cell phone to call one of them. I listened to his end of the conversation:


“Hi... Where are you? ... Walking on Tenth... Tia Pol... Where are you? ... Ohhhh... Where is that? ... Ohhhh... Yeah, we should meet up... Ummmm... How long will you be? ... Um...”


Finally I could no longer take the indecisive babble.


“Where are they!?” I demanded.


“Nisos,” he replied.


“When are they done?” I questioned, already mapping Chelsea in my head.


“They’re on dessert,” he said.


“Ok, were going to G. It’s a block away, tell them to walk over whenever they’re done.”


Travelocigay relayed my message and hung up. Then he turned to me and said, “I love that you’re a top!”


Who can say whether being a top or a bottom is determined by age, or height, or attitude. Maybe it’s a combination. Maybe it’s a spur-of-the-moment decision. Or maybe it doesn’t matter, and once they’re at that point, boys just wanna have fun.

2 comments:

The Blackout Blog said...

Okay, that's definitely never a rule I've heard before! Like ever. And from what I've observed, I'm definitely not alone.

David said...

A friend of mine wanted to post this anonymously, so I am posting it for him:

"I, personally, hate how other people feel like they can impose their insecurities and prejudices onto their sexual partners.

I am a twink, super skinny, young, blah blah blah. So, EVERYONE just assumes that I am a bottom. And yes, I bottom. I'M GAY, it's what we do. But I am also a man, and I like to top. But people take one look at me and I hardly ever get the opportunity to top.

Sex should be about having a great time and enjoying one another, yet I don't always get that opportunity because other people aren't secure enough with themselves to bottom because "they don't do that."

Don't even get me started on people who "only top.""